Thursday, July 3, 2014

James 1:22



James 1:22 – Do not merely listen to the Word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.




           The Word of God is full of truth that will help us in our lives. We must listen and hear all that it is telling us. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.” Hearing is a definite first step, but let me ask you this: What good is hearing if it does not turn into action?
           Think about it in relation to your kids, if you have them. I have four so I can relate. There are often times I tell my kids something. Sometimes getting them to listen is a struggle all its own, but once they hear it that means they will do it, right? If you have kids you know that’s not always true. Many times I will discover that whatever it was I asked, whether it be taking out the trash or cleaning their rooms will not get done.
           When I ask them whether they heard me or not they confirm they did by repeating what I told them. So the problem wasn’t with the hearing, it was with what comes next; the doing. So we see that listening and hearing only goes so far. Without action we may as well not heard in the first place. At least then we could claim ignorance.
           How many times have you heard the Lord speaking to you through His Word and you didn’t obey? God will speak to you through His Word every time we hear it or read it, but it is up to us to apply it. That is what will change your life.
           So I challenge you just as James did. “Do not merely listen to the Word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says!” Become doers of the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment