Thursday, October 9, 2014

John 10:14-15


John 10:14-15 - “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep.”




Jesus tells us that He is the good shepherd. Of course we know that Jesus is good, but He is trying to tell us something more here. Jesus is talking to a group of people that know about shepherds. They live in a community where sheep play a big role. I am sure all of these people either are, have been, or know somebody who is a shepherd. My point is this: they know about shepherds.
Now lets look at Jesus statement again, “ I am the good shepherd.” What is Jesus saying? He goes on to explain that He knows His sheep and His sheep know Him. I think that just like any trade you have people who do it well and then others who do not.
A bad shepherd would be someone who is just in the field for his ‘shift’. He doesn’t care about the sheep or even what happens to them. If a lion or bear came he would be gone. He only stays with the sheep because he either has to or is being paid to. Not really the type of person you want watching your sheep.
Now lets look at the good shepherd. He is the one who loves the sheep and knows each of them by name. When he calls, the sheep listen and follow him because they recognize his voice; they know him. If a wild animal comes to attack the sheep this shepherd will protect them with his life.
This is the shepherd who loves what he is doing and most of all loves his sheep. He will do whatever it takes to protect them and keep them alive. Jesus is the good shepherd and we are His sheep. Follow Him and He will watch over you and protect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment