Tuesday, May 6, 2014

2 Corinthians 11:30



2 Corinthians 11:30 – If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.




           What do you boast about? I know if I were to boast it would be about the things that I am good at. If I had a skill or talent I would want others to know it. It’s natural. You have something that you are good at you want to show how good you are, and beyond that you also want to tell them. Now, as far as the showing, that is good. We ought to do our best and excel in all we do. God has given you talents and abilities that He wants you to use, but when it comes to boasting, be careful.
           It’s ok to be confident in your ability to do something, but boasting generally comes from pride, and pride takes the focus away from God. That is where the issue comes in. When we are boasting of the things we excel at we are giving ourselves the credit and building ourselves up. Proverbs says, “Pride goes before destruction,” and we don’t want that. Also we later see Peter telling us to “humble ourselves before God and He will lift us up.”
Do not exalt yourself; let God do it. Paul tells us here that if he is going to boast, he will boast in his weaknesses. When we boast in our weaknesses it keeps us from getting prideful, and it gives God the opportunity to be glorified through us. In those areas where we are weak God will make us strong.
Now when we boast we can boast in the Lord and say, “See this thing that God did. Even though in my ability I messed it up, God came through and made it happen.” He is here to help us and strengthen us, but we must keep our focus on Him. He is the reason we excel; He is the reason we have talents and abilities. When we are weak, He will make us strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment