Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Trust!

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3‬:‭5‬-‭6‬


Trust is an interesting thing. Have you ever trusted someone and that trust has been broken? I think we have all been there. We trusted and counted on someone acting or performing a certain way, they failed or betrayed that trust and we were left hurting and angry or disappointed. It happens all the time! But why is that? Because we are all human and as we are human it is in our nature to look out for ourselves first and everyone else comes after. If you are trusting in someone, you will be disappointed at some point. They will not be able to live up to the standard that you are holding them too, nor could you. 


Now let me ask you another question. Where in the Bible are we instructed to trust anyone? We are told to put our trust in God, but no one else. There is no where we are told to trust anyone else. We are told to Love, to honor, to respect, but never to trust. Why is that? Why are never told to trust anyone other than God? Because we are not supposed to put our trust in people. 


I know, I know……how can I say that we are not supposed to trust people? Namely, because it won’t do any good. As I mentioned before you will be let down. None of us can hold to the standard that we want to put on others. We don’t even know if we will be here tomorrow, let alone follow through with our promises. 


So what are we to do then? Shouldn’t we trust our friends, our children or even our spouses? No, as we read in Proverbs our trust should all be put in God! We read, “trust in the Lord with ALL your heart!” ALL means everything. Every bit of trust that we have is to be placed in the Lord! 


Does this make sense? Not really? Good, cause that is the rest of the verse - “do not lean on your own understanding!” If it doesn’t make sense, then we are finally starting to move to the place we ought to be! 


So what happens when we put ALL our trust in God? Does everything work out perfectly as we want it to? To that I can provide a resounding NO! We don’t see the full picture. All we can see is what we think we want and there is so much more out there. 


If I put my trust in God alone I know I can count on Him! Not to fulfill my every desire, but to guide me through this life I am living. If I focus on Him, my wants and desires take a backseat to honoring Him! God also promises that He will “work all things for the good of those who Love Him”! That is a promise you can trust in! 


So what do I do with people? Who can I trust? Well, I can tell you out of the gate, don’t put your trust in me. I know I am simply a man. My goal is to honor God throughout my life, but I will mess up. Also, me honoring God may offend you or let you down at some point. But I will choose Him! 


Here’s the deal. If my full trust is in God and not in people, I will be in a place where I can extend grace and Love in a way I couldn’t before. You wronged me? It sucks and hurts, but who I am was not placed in that moment. I know that God is still going to take care of me. And I Love you, so I will still walk with you through this life. I will extend grace, because God knows I need it just as much as you do.  


So to summarize. Trust God in everything and you will not be disappointed! Love people, show grace, trust God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment