Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Legacy

The memory of the righteous is blessed, But the name of the wicked will rot.”

‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭10‬:‭7‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬


When I read this verse it got me thinking about legacy. What do I mean by legacy? I am talking about the long-lasting impact of a person’s life. We all make an impact in life. What kind of impact are you making? 


I ask myself this question often. How do I affect the people around me? Not that I want to live life based on what others think, but because I want to leave a lasting impression that leads people to Jesus. I say this, not to sound cliche, but because this is how everyone who professes to live for Christ should be! 


When I think about the impression that Christ left on people it was not always positive. There were people who wanted to kill Him! He Loved the unlovable and confronted the self-righteous! He left some people wanting more and others were angry! But everything He did was for the glory of God! And the Legacy He left was one that impacted the whole world! He provided salvation to us all! And our legacy should point to His!!


As I read the verse above it reminds me of how many people are forgotten. They live a life here on earth and then pass on and no one cares to remember them! This verse says their memory will rot! That’s harsh! There are people in my life whose memory brings distaste to my mouth! 


Then there are people who I remember and they bring joy! They made an impression that pointed me to Jesus! 


My grandfather was one such man! He was always supportive and positive! Anything I needed grandpa Wright would support! When I wanted to learn about how a bookstore was run, he took me to the local one to interview the owner. And that was after a long day of work. 


Another man that made an impact on me and passed too soon was John Schlautman. He was a man that would always be at church with a smile! He would be in the rain offering an umbrella to others while he was getting soaked. He was the true picture of a servant! 


Linnea Zednik was another person that had this kind of impact. This is a lady who showed Love and acceptance to me, when all I did was disrespect her. She had no idea where my life had been or why I was the way I was and she Loved me anyway. 


Another person that impacted me was my Grandpa-in-law Rudy! He was such a gentle and caring man that always accepted me! And on his deathbed reminded me that he was proud of who I was and how I Loved his granddaughter. 


And here’s the thing about these people. They have all passed on from this earth, but their legacy is still here. They passed on a piece of themselves to everyone they touched. Everyone they Loved and impacted now carries a piece of them too! And it continues to pass on to those we touch and impact. So, even as their name may someday be forgotten, the Love they passed on continues to flow, because it is a Love that they received from the Heavenly Father! 


This is the kind of man I want to be as well! As I live in righteousness I know I will impact others! And the righteousness I walk in is not anything I earned, but that I was freely given! A gift from God because of the blood that was shed on the cross! And so I can have faith in this verse and know that the memory of me will be a blessed one, but not of me, only Christ in me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment