Monday, January 16, 2023

Don’t sin

 “My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.”

‭‭1 John‬ ‭2‬:‭1‬-‭2‬


What is your attitude toward sin? I have often made the excuse for sin before I even do the deed. “Nobody’s perfect!” “Jesus is the only one that can be sinless!” This sounds reasonable and is even likely true, but what if there is more? 


Jesus Himself told us, “Be perfect therefore, as your Heavenly Father is perfect!”(Matt. 5:48) So, if Jesus gives us a command, who are we to try anything different? Shouldn’t we be aiming for perfection? Did you know that Jesus was 100% man, but also 100% God? Most believers understand this! But do you know that you are the same? We are born 100% man and into a life of sin, but we are born again and receive 100% God on the inside of us! Unless you don’t believe the Holy Spirit actually lives inside you! 


So what does that mean? How can I be like Jesus? By the Grace of God! God Loves us and so He sent His Son Jesus to die in our place! That is already done! And you know what that means? We are co-heirs with Christ and children of God! There is no getting around it! That is what scriptures tell us! Then to take it a step further, Christ says, “You will do even greater things than me!” (John 14:12) 


How can I do greater things than Christ?!?! I am but a lowly sinner! With that attitude I will never be who God who God has called me! I am righteous! I am a child of God! I am a saint! I am no longer a slave to sin, but a slave to righteousness! 


So it starts in our mind! Paul tells us in Romans 12 that we must be transformed by the renewing of our mind! Here’s an interesting concept. All that you need to be an Overcomer in life has already been given to you! You just don’t see it yet! God, give us vision to see what You have already done!!! 


So now, back to the verse at hand. “I am writing these things so that you do not sin!” John is telling us not to sin! He is implying that there is an option to not sin! How can he say that? Because He understood! He knew what Christ had done! In fact, we can see from His gospel that he didn’t even see himself as John anymore! He had such a revelation of how Christ saw him that he referred to himself as “the one whom Jesus Loves!” That is quite a place to be! 


So as John writes here, we are told we are not to sin! Now there is always a way out, because we do have Jesus advocating for us. But He has made it possible to live a sin free life! 


Again, this is a mentality thing! Maybe I will never be sin free. And likely that is true, but I should have a goal to obey everything that Christ has told me! And when He says to be perfect I should not make excuses before I even try to fulfill the command! If I always aim for being a sinner, I will always struggle with it. But, if I aim for Jesus, I at least can get as close as possible before I leave this earth! And when I do leave, I know I will be made perfect in Him! So, let’s try for obedience, and aim for a sin free life! And know that Jesus is still with us anytime we mess up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment