Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Word

 As I think about the Word of God and what it means to me I think about the beginning of John. The Word was with God and the Word was God. The Word was there in the beginning and then the Word became flesh. So, bottom line, Jesus is the Word and the reason we have life. 

As I read scripture it is easy to get in a pattern or a habit of reading it as if it is a book with simple Words on a page. But scripture is so much more. The Bible reminds us that all scripture is God breathed! What does that mean? That means every Word that I read on the page comes straight from the mouth of God! How can I just sit here calmly reading what the God of the universe spoke? Only because I don’t truly understand what I am reading. 


Scripture is life changing. It is not only a book to read, but so much more! If we think about Jesus being the Word, that means that we read Jesus on a page. We are blessed with the inside track on the Savior of the world as we read through these pages. 


So, as John saw it as he wrote his gospel book, he understood that Jesus is God made flesh. There is a differentiation between the two, but they are also the same. Jesus is God on earth! He was born to bridge the gap between heaven and earth. We are reminded by Paul that it was through one man Adam that sin was brought into  the world and man was separated from God. And it is through one man Jesus that sin is defeated and man is reconnected with God! That is what we are reading when we are reading scripture! It is the story of God bringing us back to Himself! 


Now I ask again - How can I read this as just a book? Because I too often take for granted the life I have and what Christ has done. Lord, as I write this this morning I pray that you help me to fully understand what you have blessed me with through your Word. Help me to remember that it is not about me, but this story is so much greater. You have blessed me to take part in Your story. Help me as I read Your Word to never take it for granted. Let me read it with a heart to understand and to obey. Help me to honor You each day with my actions and my Words! 

No comments:

Post a Comment