Saturday, September 20, 2014

Luke 15:31




Luke 15:31 – “My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.”




This verse comes from the story of the ‘Prodigal son.’ We all know this story. You see a father and his two boys. While the older boy is faithfully working the land and helping the father, the younger leaves and squanders his wealth. Because he is gone so long the father is afraid he may have lost his boy, but he always has his eye on the horizon, waiting, just in case.
Finally the boy returns and his father rejoices and throws a huge party. Meanwhile the older son is still out working the fields. When he returns and sees his brother home and the party that was thrown for him he grows angry.
Now the father goes outside to see what is wrong with his older son. The boy tells him that he is upset because he never got a party like the one thrown for his brother. This verse captures his father’s response, “My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.” Basically the father told his oldest son that he could have had a party anytime he wanted.
Sometimes I think we fall into this way of thinking. We have accepted Christ and are welcomed into the kingdom of God as His children. Then we see others walking in the blessings of God and we cry out, “Why not me God?”
We wonder why we are not seeing the blessings in our life. If that’s you, and we've all been there, this verse is for you. God is telling you, “You are always with me, and everything I have is yours.” As God’s children we have access to all that God has. We just need to receive it by faith.
Think of it this way. You could be in foreclosure on your house and have a million dollars in your bank account. That million will not do you any good until you withdraw it and use it. The same is true with the promises of God. They will not do you any good until you access them through faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment