Monday, February 24, 2014

John 21:22


John 21:22 – Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”



          To lay out the situation here, Jesus was talking to Peter after He had been raised form the dead. He had just gone through the process of asking him the same question, “Do you Love me?” three times in slightly different ways. After the third time Peter was a little bit frustrated and said, “Lord, you know all things. You know that I Love you!” 
          In response to Peter's answers Jesus had been saying, “then feed my sheep”, or “take care of my sheep.” He did the same this time, but continued on to reference how Peter would die for the gospel. Jesus said that right now Peter could make his own choices and do what he wanted, but a day would come when he couldn’t, someone else would be doing it for him.
          Naturally after Jesus said this to him, Peter was curious about some of the other disciples. He pointed to John and said, “What about Him?” This verse contains Jesus answer. “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” Basically Jesus told him that it didn’t matter and not to concern himself with others and their future. Peter needed to make the decision for Himself to follow Him.
          That is the same message that Jesus gives us. Too often we get caught up in the lives of others. We base our life and decisions on how others are living. That needs to stop. There will be others that come along side you to work and serve the gospel with you, but you can’t make your decision about God based on them. You must make your own commitment. Jesus says, “You must follow me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment